Tips for bringing Farm to School Education to your school
Whether you’re helping conduct a Farm to School education program, or just encouraging students’ class or school to participate in one, the following advice will help explore options for your program.
- Tie farm and food into existing lessons. Cooking makes great math and nutrition lessons, and gardens are great places to learn about science, math and inspire gardening at home.
- Use existing models. There are many fun and engaging resources to incorporate into your Farm to School program.
- Farm tours
- Farmers Market Day
- Farmer Fair Days
- Iron Chef competitions using local foods
- Create local food art
Resources and Activities:
- National Farm to School
- Life Lab Science Program
- The Food Project
- USDA Nutrition Education
- My Plate Says developed by Emma Cornwell, Iowa FoodCorps Fellow
- Plant Parts Dance Party developed by Marlie Wilson, Iowa FoodCorps Fellow
- Food Miles
- Iowa Department of Education Stories in Motion physical activity breaks
- USDA Garden Detective Gardening Nutrition Curriculum for grades 3 & 4